Journal #254 – Good progress overall

Today is another application deployment day.

I met up with my colleagues at the cafeteria of the customer’s building. I had my second breakfast and coffee there before we made our way up.

If you are wondering why I have two breakfast, it’s because of my stomach’s high acidity and need food to ensure my stomach wall don’t get eroded. I could take antacid but they only help to relieve the symptoms for a little while and after that, I will get excessive gas and gut discomfort.

So food is the best way.

After that, my colleagues and I went up to the main office making our way specifically to the datacenter, signed in, got the assigned laptops and start working.

The initial deployment went pretty well. I dare say the whole experience was smooth. The application functions as intended after subjecting it to some testing and my team lead was happy with it. I felt good but I thought the application could be better. I mean if you want it to be a product to sell elsewhere, whatever we have now isn’t enough. But I also have to keep in mind that right now we have to deliver something for phase 1 of the project before end of the year and so we did our best within the time we got. So I will still take the win.

While testing, my team lead and I found some usability issues that should be fixed and so I noted them down.

In the meantime, my other colleague proceeded to deploy a version of the application with kerberos authentication over HTTP. I also prepared another copy of the client application for that purpose. Enabling proper kerberos authentication is as simple as changing the configuration file and that’s as far as what we have implemented.

However, there was some issue with the server side and it was already lunch. So we decided to call it quits and go for lunch. We packed up the stuff and left the building.

We ate at Chinatown. I had fried carrot cake for lunch as I don’t feel like walking around looking for food, don’t feel like queuing for food, and I’m a pescatarian. The combination meant that, I will order something from a stall with few people and doesn’t serve meat.

After that, I went to get what is known as fried butterfly bun to serve as late afternoon snack. I think Malaysians call it horseshoes due to the shape.

In hindsight, it looks like I actually consume quite a lot of carbohydrates.

Anyway, we made our way back and start working again. My colleagues finally could get the server side application working and started ensuring the four instances of the application are all load balanced. Then, I went about testing the client application again after making some changes to the configuration file. I helped a little bit with the server side stuff too like patching certain data and doing some basic troubleshooting.

All I can say is that I’m pleasantly surprised at how well everything turned out. But at the same time, I also found some usability issue which I noted down. Tomorrow once I’m back in office, I will need to discuss the issues with my colleagues again and see what should be fixed now in light of the need to deploy actual copies of the client application onto the customer’s workstation for actual use by end of next week.

Personally, I have these two days to fix stuff and I don’t want to wait till next week. Next Monday and Tuesday, I won’t be in office anyway as I will be going for a technical writing course. I hope I can fix everything, including the extra stuff that I want to implement by this Friday.

As for the extra stuff, well, I always saw myself as a product developer and so I will always try to implement additional features that I think the user will want or expect based on their experience with other applications. I do care about how the user interact with the application and I want their life to be as easy as possible.

And one last thing I want to share. I actually procrastinated a lot before I got down to writing this journal. I am feeling very lazy these days and I just want to play games or do something else. I suspect it could be the time of the year. I don’t really know yet. But still, I force myself to write either way. This is why I publish the science news roundup first because it is the easiest thing to do. I know what kind of science I like and what kind of news I enjoy. So by lowering the activation barrier, I can move on to do a bigger piece of work like writing this journal. When I got started, the words just pours out.

So I call that a good progress too. Another win for me.